Monday, October 12, 2009

2. Reality?

I was on the shuttle to Kadıköy today and saw this really interesting advertisement on the bus infront of us. It was from HP advertising a new laptop and the slogan was 'Bilgisayarın hayatındır' (Your computer is your life).

This was really strange, because the more I thought about it I realised this is true for some people. I think because of reality TV and the advent of internet available everywhere the line between reality and virtural reality has become blurred.

For example, I read an article in Hürriyet a few months ago about people who meet eachother online with the intention of later getting married. Perhaps this phenomena is related to the 'individuals who chase money' mentioned by Sonja in relation to Rushdie's article and are therefore too busy to find a suitable partner by conventional means.

Perhaps some of the arguments of Rushdie's article extend beyond Reality TV and apply to our advanced technological society in general. With MSN, Facebook and texting we can communicate with friends but can this really be considered socialising? Perhaps a new form of socialising for which a term has yet to be coined. A study of Turkish internet users found that 30% admit having an internet addiction. But I don't know if I'm in a position to criticise, I was online until 3.30 last night. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sean,
    This is a really interesting post because you've managed to relate the course concepts to your real life. What would strengthen this post even more is if you could link to that Hürriyet article you mentioned, as well as to my blog post that you reference. Just highlight the words, click on the link symbol and paste in the URLs. Let me know if you need any help with that.

    And I know what you mean about not being in a position to criticise Internet addiction! Since I am studying for three qualifications online, I would be lost without my computer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonja,

    The ideas in the blog post need developed a little more. I've had some more thoughts since, but I think they are more appropiate for the news photography article.

    Regarding the links to the articles, I have been searching the Zaman and Hürriyet websites but could find the articles on neither. All I could find was the orginal report in English on another website and it costed money to access it but I will add links in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Sean, no problems at all. I know how difficult it is to find things you've read previously.

    ReplyDelete